Women in Leadership
The Coro Women in Leadership (WIL) Program supports the leadership development of women, establishing a pipeline for professional advancement, and creating a cross-sector network of women who support each other’s leadership development. The time is now for women to harness their unique abilities, approaching professional goals and challenges head on with Coro’s leadership toolkit at their helm.
The Coro Women in Leadership Program brings together a cohort of mid-career women of diverse backgrounds from the private, nonprofit, and government sectors for intensive leadership development seminars, civic issue exploration through a gender lens and post-fellowship networking. Running across five, two-day sessions WIL focuses on enhancing leadership abilities, deepening professional networks, building strategic relationships, peer coaching, developing professional narratives, and enhancing participants’ ability to affect positive change at work, at home, and in their communities.
Coro Southern California will be facilitating two virtual Spring Women in Leadership cohorts: One cohort open to all applicants and another that is specific to the Southern California region. Southern California is defined as Ventura County south to San Diego.
Women in Leadership
Program Dates – Fri/Sat
9 AM – 3 PM PST
Women in Leadership – Southern California Region
Program Dates – Thu/Fri
9 AM – 3 PM PST
The program includes:
- Personal reflection leadership sessions
- Coro’s signature training centered on thinking critically and politically, communicating effectively, moving teams, organizations, and communities forward, and building strategic and authentic professional relationships
- Small group peer coaching sessions
- Inter-session assignments designed for deepened learning and tool application
- Unparalleled access to interview the region’s top women leaders from across sectors
- Weekly optional civic engagement and personal reflection activities
- Ongoing Coro networking events (WIL-Wide Virtual Gatherings and Fellows Selection Day)
- Graduation Celebration
Coupling the highly-successful Coro leadership model with inquiry-based learning from respected, multi-sector, women leaders, WIL provides rising and established women talent with the skills, the knowledge, and the network to meet their professional goals and deepen their leadership impact.
As a result of participation, WIL cohort members will:
- have the opportunity to examine their own beliefs, understand how they arrived at them, and be challenged to question or reaffirm those beliefs.
- skillfully, actively and innovatively analyze, evaluate and synthesize information to design informed solutions.
- navigate through multiple forms of communication, utilizing knowledge, trust, context, and purpose to influence change.
- creatively and thoughtfully build and bridge sustained partnerships to solve challenges.
- discern between effective management and impactful leadership and examine the connection between the two.
- acquire the knowledge, intellectual skills and applied competencies to sustain reflective and effective leadership.
And will be able to…
- recognize personal strengths, weaknesses, and blind spots.
- ground actions in an awareness of beliefs.
- function effectively in the face of uncertainties.
- navigate complex situations and organizations.
- negotiate and communicate persuasively.
- accurately identify and evaluate problems utilizing effective inquiry.
- analyze challenges through an understanding of patterns, power relationships, systems, and self.
- empower team members and stakeholders to arrive at decisions.
- Explore the role and impact gender has on the civic issues affecting our society
The Coro Women in Leadership Program is for women who:
- are committed to deepening their leadership capacity through Coro’s proven methodology
- are looking to expand their professional and personal networks
- are rising or established decision makers, managers and/or influencers at their respective organizations
- have a minimum of 7 years of work experience
As a reflection of public life, Women in Leadership cohorts are a diverse group of women who come from the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. Applicants should be prepared for an immersive, group-structured experience in personal reflection for leadership growth.
Tuition is $3,000 for 10 sessions of leadership development training, small group coaching, and access to Coro alumni and cross-program events. Limited scholarships are available. Payment in full (or agreement with Coro on a specific payment plan) is required before the start of the program. Participants are encouraged to seek their employer’s or other sponsor’s support for the program. Please contact us for information and guidance in seeking employer or sponsor support.
Thank you to our Supporters
Friend of Coro
John B Withers, Coro Fellow LA 79, Partner California Strategies, LLC
Thank you to our other investors
LA City Controller Ron Galperin
LA City Councilmember Joe Buscaino
Women of Coro
Advisory Committee Los Angeles Members
Executive Director, Los Angeles County Women and Girls Initiative
Former Deputy Mayor, Office of Strategic Partnerships of the City of Los Angeles
Director – Innovation team, Los Angeles Mayor’s Office of Budget and Innovation
Chief of staff, Los Angeles Mayor’s Office
Public Policy Advisor, Billie Greer Consulting
Senior Executive Director, Partnerships, Los Angeles Unified School District
Former Senator, California State Senate
President and Chief Executive Officer, Southern California Grantmakers
President and CEO, Rose Policy Solutions
Senator, California State Senate
Chief Executive Officer, Central City Association
Partner, California Strategies, LLC
Senior Vice President, Englander Knabe & Allen
Councilmember, City of West Hollywood
President and Director, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
Lupita Sanchez Cornejo
Regional Director, External Affairs – Greater Los Angeles Region, AT&T
Co-Founder and President, Tower26
Managing Director, Smidt Foundation
VP, Public Affairs and Events, Los Angeles Times
Senior Strategist, Office of Supervisor Kuehl
President and CEO, The Ralph M Parsons Foundation
Former Controller & Councilwoman, City of Los Angeles
Advisory Committee Orange County Members
Council Member, City of Costa Mesa
Partner, Best Best & Krieger LLP
Executive Officer, Orange County LAFCO
Government Relations Officer/Deputy General Counsel, Irvine Ranch Water District
Public Finance, Director County of Orange, retired
Assistant Airport Director, John Wayne Airport, retired
Founder, Eileen Padberg Consulting
Toll Market Practice Leader, HNTB
Director of Data and Innovation, Leadership for Educational Equity
CEO, The Moulton Company
Jeanne Spinner LaMar
Owner, Spinner LaMar and Associates
CEO and Founder, Working Wardrobes
Dr. Jerry Hunter
Distinguished Lecturer College of Education, California State University, Fullerton
Partner, California Strategies LLC
General Manager, Moulton Niguel Water District
Co-Owner, President, and CEO, Frieda’s Specialty Produce
Partner, Rutan & Tucker, LLP
President, K.E. Thalman & Associates
Trustee, Newport Mesa Unified School District
Principal, Progressive Solutions Consulting
Emeritus Mayor Pro Tem / Director of Community and Strategic Planning Development for Primestor Development, Inc.
Director, Southern California Region Western States Petroleum Association
Attorney, Government Relations, and Strategic Planning Consultant
Dr. Sheryl A. Bourgeois
Executive Vice President, University Advancement, Chapman University
Click here to complete the Spring 2021 application. Applications are due February 7, 2021
- Interest Form
Click here to complete an Interest Form and learn more about Women in Leadership.
Know someone who would be great for Coro Women in Leadership?
- Virtual Information Session
Sign up for our Women in Leadership Virtual Information Session on January 22, 2021, at 12 pm.
- Meet the Current Class
Learn more about current WIL cohorts: Women in Leadership Cohort 4 and Women in Leadership Cohort 4: Southern California
View the brochure or download to pass on to a friend.
- Program Benefits
Seeking employer assistance or fundraising? Download this guide on the benefits they will receive by supporting your participation in Women in Leadership.
- Questions? Contact:
Recruitment, & Alumni Relations Manager